Friday, February 6, 2009

Fool me (everyone at the wedding) once...

So, I have been pricing cakes and trying to figure out what I want to do.
I did not leave very much money in my budget for a cake. As Julie can attest, the cake was one of the things I specifically said I didn't care about.
Sam expressed only one opinion: he doesn't want people to have to wait for cake. He wants it to already be cut up in the back and as soon as we cut the cake, come streaming out by the waiters. (Eric and Amanda did it this way.)
When I went to professional cake makers around town, the cake was going to run around a grand. Eek! Then I turned to facebook to find indepent bakers. I am still being quote at $3-$5 for iced cakes (versus fondant cakes which are even more!). This would be at least a $750 cake. I just can't do it.

Let me turn you to my newest find:

With this, I can hire someone to just decorate these three layers and add a real layer for the topmost layer. Then we have something to cut. We buy sheetcake to stream out after the cutting. Sheetcake=cheap! The styrofoam cake = $30! Decorating a smaller cake for 30 people= $100! And everyone ends up happy! Ta da!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. As long as people see you cut the cake and get to eat some, they will not think twice about whether your cake is real or not. I bought round cakes from Sam's for our Houston reception and had enough cake for 50 people for about $30 (they were really good too!) Although cake should always be a top priority in my book, I think that this is the perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake is one of my favorite parts of the reception (think I might be related to one of your bridesmaids?) and don't forget it is actually an ancient fertility rite. Not sure if pulling one over on the goddess of fertility is such a good idea.....

    ReplyDelete