Thursday, December 11, 2008

Not too matchy-matchy


(First off, I am not yet in the swing of naming these posts, but I'll get there)

So, Julie and Andrea ventured to Hillcroft to look at Sari Sapne and all that little India has to offer.
For those of you that don't know, let outline the weekend wedding:

Friday 8pm ~ Mehndi Ceremony
Saturady 11am ~ Wedding Ceremony at Ray Garden at Rice University(that's right, outside!)
Saturday 8pm ~ Reception at the Majestic Metro

So, I have three dresses:
Lengha
Traditional Indian Bridal Sari
Traditional WWD

You all will need some sort of outfits as well. For the sake of money, I think we all agree that one outfit for Saturday should suffice. The matron of honor (Julie) and blondie bridesmaid (Andrea) (I like this nickname stuff) think it would be fun to wear matching outfits on Friday and I agree!!! Do you? Post below.

This would also be a fantastic way to get Sam and all his friends into some Indian clothes (just kidding Sonia). (Sort of.)

We looked at many styles and decided the Churidar style would be the most economical, universally flattering style out there. This is a type of Shalwar Kameez that has skinny legs that are scrunched up a bunch. We are thinking a super decorative sleeveless top with flowy georgette fabric from the empire waist to the knee-ish. The colors will be bright and you could be matched two-by-twos. How does that sound? Post below. (I would really like a discussion!)

Here's a couple photos of some failed outfits:


Now I found a man who will custom make us some Churidars for $150 each. This seems like a pretty sweet deal since we can get Saturday's sari ridiculously cheap (It's just 6yds of fabric afterall). BUT more recently I found churidarsuit.com They offer free shipping over $175 so if I order everything together, then we get free shipping! Here are a couple options:



The website organizes by price. Maybe ya'll are interested in venturing to the site and picking out somethings that YOU like. I am completely NOT PICKY about the Mehndi outfit.

Julie and Andrea both liked the Anarkali style. Anarkali was the most beautiful (prostitute?) in Lahore during some period of decadence. I am sure there is a better description available on wikipedia...
Here's a peak of those, they seem to be in the $100-$150 category on the website. (See left.)


So what do you guys think? Here's a recap:
1) Do you want to match?
2) Everyone in their own color or 2X2's?
3) Do you like a churidar or prefer a more traditional loose pant? (Google: Shalwar Kameez)
4) Do you like the Anarkali style?

5 comments:

  1. Ahh!! This is a great idea and so fun! I'm printing my exam to edit so I have just a second, but here's my two cents:
    1. I LOVE the idea of us all matching! It will be like little bridesmaid fairies and also make for amazing pictures, which is key. :)
    2. I am cool with either 2 by 2 or else own colors. I like the prostitute one that looked prettiest! Either that or the huge pants Julie was holding ahhahah. Love ya'll and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This website was a great idea!! A lot easier than having to email everyone every time we get a new idea! As for my answers to your questions:

    -I agree with Ella, I love the idea of us all matching. That will be so cute!
    -It really doesn't matter to me about the colors, it's up to you guys..I'm easy to please
    -I LOVE the Anarkali and churidar style..definitely my favorites!

    hhikqgbbbjkgfgdsaqaq12a <-------THAT MESSAGE WAS FROM BRIANNA...I THINK SHE WAS TRYING TO SAY I LOVE YOU AUNT TA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe those are the only two pictures you had to post from that day - ha! We will have to go again. All of us matching might be easier than picking out an outfit for each pair...or we could all go with different ones with a similair style (will be difficult for out-of-towners.) It might be easier if we go pick one out and take lots of pictures. I will look at that website soon, I really like all shown. But I still want to go shopping again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the churidars better but the anarkali's could be fun too. I love the idea of either we all match, or we wear the exact same thing, each in a different color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can guests wear some of these beautiful creations? When will I ever get the chance again and I SOOOOOO want to. Big question - what should slightly older, slightly chubby guests look for?

    ReplyDelete